Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Does anyone now if they are going to do away with writing out checks?.?

I tried to fill up my motorcycle with a check with no address on it since I opened up a new account at a reputable worldwide bank like Wells Fargo. I had my license, the check I filled out without her saying anything and then when I was finished to give her the check she said; I can't accept the check; I asked why, and she said there is no address on it. I said well here is my license all you have to do is match the signatures. She said adamantely "IT'S THE LAW. Why would banks give out checks with no addresses on them if they knew it was the LAW? Any clues? (I've been a customer there for over 15 years and I get treated like this? The lady had a real beurocratic attitude like that of a know it all lawyer; just for a stinking $4.00. She said I think they are going to do away with checks all together; as if I was the reason for it. I felt like arguing but I stormed off and ran ot of gas; how's that for a day. Do you think they will eventually do away with checks?
Answer:
She is wrong that it is "the law" that checks have to have an address on them, but she is right in the sense that they can refuse to accept checks of any kind, let alone your sketchy, starter checks.

Yes, checks will eventually be eliminated for most transaction - too clusmy and costly to process, but probably not for another generation or so. Older people like checks a lot.

Tip: Use a credit card to buy gas. You don't have to go insde and deal with those people, plus many credit card pay a cashback award on gas purchases (The Discover Open Road Card pays a staggering 5%)
That wil not happen any time soon. Many people are afraid of identity theft and will not use online banking, ATMs, and some don't even have credit cards. That leaves two ways for transactions... hard cash and checks.

They could have very easily called your bank to verify your check. She was just too lazy to do that.
soon
That is a decision the company has made. Many businesses have never accepted counter checks. When considering that employers may put the burden of paying for NSF with the employees who accept the checks, it is not difficult to see the other perspective.
checks are lame period. It's so annoying when your in line at a check out and some old chick is being rung up, and knows it's time to pay, but waits till everything is bagged and the checker tells her the price before they even pull their check book out. when they could have it all ready except the dollar ammount. it takes for ever and just looks ghetto.
It's not the law, but it was probably their policy. Many places won鈥檛 take starter checks.

And actually, I went in someplace a few years to pay a bill (I can鈥檛 remember where it was) and they wouldn鈥檛 take my cash. Personally, I found that very strange.

Someday in the future they may do away with checks, but I don鈥檛 think it will happen in my lifetime. That's just my opinion though.
The clerk was wrong and also an asshole. Please report her to the home office and to the head manager at the store where she mistreated you. Then give your business to more deserving businesses in the future.
i really think writing a check is gonna be history due to credit cards, debit cards and people paying bills online and an increase in fraud would elminate the use of checks. we don't accept checks at my job

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Do you think © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net